1.1 This European Standard specifies the safety requirements for industrial lifting tables for raising and/or lowering goods and the operator(s):
- where the lifting table does not pass a fixed landing;
- serving not more than 2 fixed landings.
1.2 This European Standard deals with all significant hazards pertinent to lifting tables when they are used as intended by the operating instructions and under the conditions foreseen (including foreseeable misuse) with the operating instructions (see Clause 4). This European Standard specifies the appropriate technical measures to eliminate or reduce the risks arising from the significant hazards.
1.3 Both power operated and manually operated lifting tables are included whether stationary or mobile.
1.4 This European Standard does not apply to the following equipment:
- lifting tables, serving more than 2 fixed landings of a building, for lifting goods with a vertical travel speed not exceeding 0,15 m/s (EN 1570-2);
- lifting tables, serving more than 2 fixed landings of a building for lifting operators, with a vertical travel speed not exceeding 0,15 m/s (EN 1570-3);
- lifting tables carrying operators and installed in full enclosures (EN 1570-3);
- permanently and temporarily installed lifting tables, serving specific levels of a building for lifting operators, with a vertical travel speed exceeding 0,15 m/s (EN 81-1 and EN 81-2);
- lifting tables with flat or toothed belts lifting systems for the carrying of operators;
- lifting tables whose vertical travel speed exceeds 0,15 m/s (unless safe by position and non person carrying);
- power operated lifting platforms for persons with impaired mobility (EN 81-41);
- mobile lifting tables for airport ground support equipment (EN 1915-2 and EN 12312 1);
- lifting tables which are designed as part of a lift according to Directive (95/16/EC);
- lifting tables used on ships;
- mobile elevating work platforms (EN 280);
- static elevating work platforms;
- vehicle lifts for maintenance (EN 1493);
- mobile lifting tables used for fire fighting (EN 1777);
- mobile lifting tables used as fork lift trucks and order pickers;
- mobile lifting tables with a horizontal travelling speed of more than 1,6 m/s;
- rail dependent storage and retrieval equipment (EN 528);
- theatre stage lifts intended to move performers;
- scissor lift pallet trucks (EN ISO 3691 5);
- suspended lifting tables;
- lifting tables operated by pushing chains.
1.5 This standard does not establish the additional requirements for:
- electromagnetic compatibility;
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme climates, freezer applications, strong magnetic fields);
- operation subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres, mines);
- handling of loads, the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations (e.g. molten metal, acids, radiating materials, especially brittle loads);
- hazards occurring during construction, transportation and disposal;
- equipment installed on the load platform or replacing it;
- integration into systems or other machines, control from more than two control stations, etc.;
- cable-less controls;
- lifting tables where the hydraulic pressure is derived directly from gas pressure;
- the power supply to the lifting table by internal combustion engine.