This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This European Standard deals with the safety of electric room heaters for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
This standard also deals with the safety of electric heaters intended for the heating of driver and passenger compartments of motor vehicles when they are stationary, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
NOTE Z101 Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are
– convector heaters;
– fan heaters;
– heaters for use in greenhouses;
– liquid-filled radiators;
– panel heaters;
– radiant heaters;
– tubular heaters;
– ceiling mounted heat lamp appliances.
– cab heaters;
For extraction fans of ceiling mounted heat lamp appliances, EN 60335-2-80 is applicable as far as is reasonable.
Appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops and other premises for normal housekeeping purposes, are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE Z102 Examples of appliance for household environment are appliances for typical housekeeping functions used in the household environment that may also be used by non expert users for typical housekeeping functions:
– in shops and other similar working environments;
– in farm houses;
– by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments;
– in bed and breakfast type environments.
NOTE Z103 Household environments include the dwelling and its associated buildings, the garden, etc.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in household and similar environments.
However, in general, it does not take into account:
• children playing with the appliance;
• the use of the appliance by very young children;
• the use of the appliance by young children without supervision.
It is recognized that very vulnerable people may have needs beyond the level addressed in this European Standard.
NOTE Z104 Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in moving vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities;
– for appliances intended to be used in the presence of combustible dust, for example in barns or stables, additional requirements may be necessary.
NOTE Z105 This European Standard does not apply to
– appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– heaters that are built into air conditioners (EN 60335-2-40);
– clothes dryers and towel rails (EN 60335-2-43);
– heaters for saunas (EN 60335-2-53);
– thermal-storage room heaters (EN 60335-2-61);
– heating appliances for breeding and rearing animals (EN 60335-2-71);
– foot warmers and heating mats (EN 60335-2-81);
– flexible sheet heating elements for room heating (EN 60335-2-96);
– heated carpets;
– central heating systems;
– heating cables (IEC 60800).
– heaters intended for the heating of caravans.