IEC 61003-1:2016 is applicable to pneumatic and electric industrial-process instruments or control device using measured values that are continuous signals either a mechanical (position, force, etc.) or a standard electric signal. It is intended to specify uniform terminologies and testing methods for performance evaluation of industrial-process instruments or process control systems modules with analogue measured values and two- or multi-position outputs. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2004. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- use of the term "two-position output" instead of "two-state instrument" (see 3.2);
- use of the term "differential gap" instead of "switching differential" (see 3.4);
- use of "fast transient/burst immunity requirements" instead of "power supply transient overvoltages", and revision of the test method (see 6.2.10);
- deletion of 6.2.12 "common mode interference" and 6.2.13 "normal mode interference (series mode) "tests of the previous edition;
- use of the term "electromagnetic field" instead of "radiated electromagnetic interference", the test method remained the same (see 6.2.16);
- use of the term "dielectric strength" instead of "isolation test", and revision of the reference (see 6.3.4);
- deletion of Subclauses "8.2 Design features", "10.1 Routine maintenance and adjustment" and "10.2 Repair" of the previous edition.