This part of IEC 62477 applies to Power Electronic Converter Systems (PECS) and equipment,
their components for electronic power conversion and electronic power switching, including the
means for their control, protection, monitoring and measurement, such as with the main purpose
of converting electric power, with rated system voltages not exceeding 1 000 V a.c. or
1 500 V d.c.
This document may also be used as a reference standard for product committees producing
product standards for:
• adjustable speed electric power drive systems (PDS);
• standalone uninterruptible power systems (UPS) ;
• low voltage stabilized d.c. power supplies.
For PECS for which no product standard exists, this standard provides minimum requirements
for safety aspects.
This part of IEC 62477 has the status of a group safety publication in accordance with IEC
Guide 104 for power electronic converter systems and equipment for solar, wind, tidal, wave,
fuel cell or similar energy sources.
According to IEC Guide 104, one of the responsibilities of technical committees is, wherever
applicable, to make use of basic safety publications and/or group safety publications in the
preparation of their product standards.
This International Standard:
• establishes a common terminology for safety aspects relating to PECS and equipment;
• establishes minimum requirements for the coordination of safety aspects of interrelated
parts within a PECS;
• establishes a common basis for minimum safety requirements for the PEC portion of
products that contain PEC;
• specifies requirements to reduce risks of fire, electric shock, thermal, energy and
mechanical hazards, during use and operation and, where specifically stated, during
service and maintenance;
• specifies minimum requirements to reduce risks with respect to pluggable and
permanently connected equipment, whether it consists of a system of interconnected
units or independent units, subject to installing, operating and maintaining the
equipment in the manner prescribed by the manufacturer.
This International Standard does not cover :
• telecommunications apparatus other than power supplies to such apparatus;
• functional safety aspects as covered by e.g. IEC 61508;
• electrical equipment and systems for railways applications and electric vehicles.