IEC 60695-1-12:2015 is intended as a general guideline for IEC Product Committees and provides:
- an explanation of the principles and uses of fire safety engineering;
- guidance on the use of fire safety engineering in the design of electrotechnical products;
- fire safety engineering terminology and concepts;
- an indication of properties, data and tests needed for input into fire safety engineering assessments and
- informative references. This international standard is not intended to be a detailed technical design guide, but is intended to provide guidance for product committees on fire safety engineering methods and performance based test information needs for use in performance based designs and fire hazard assessments of electrotechnical materials, assemblies, products and systems. This basic safety publication is intended for use by technical committees in the preparation of standards in accordance with the principles laid down in IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51.
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60695-1-10:2009 and IEC 60695-1-11:2014.