This document applies to control and protective switching devices (or equipment) (CPS), the
main contacts of which are intended to be connected to circuits of rated voltage not exceeding
1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC.
It covers control and protective switching device (CPS):
– which provides protective and control functions for circuits and motors;
– where its control function is operated exclusively otherwise than by hand;
– which provides continuity of service after over-current conditions; and
– which can have additional functions, such as isolation or communication.
This document does not apply to:
– auxiliary contacts, covered by IEC 60947-5-1;
– CPS used downstream to frequency drive1;
NOTE Additional requirements for CPS used downstream to frequency drive are under consideration for the
next maintenance cycle.
– the use of the product with additional measure within explosive atmospheres, covered by
IEC 60079 (all parts);
– embedded software design rules, covered by IEC TR 63201;
– cyber security aspects, covered by IEC TS 63208.
The object of this document is to state:
– the characteristics of CPS's;
– the conditions with which CPS's are complying with reference to their operation and
behaviour, their dielectric properties, the degree of protection provided by their enclosure
where applicable, its construction including safety measures against electric shock, fire
hazard and mechanical hazard;
– the tests intended to verify that these conditions have been met, and the methods to be
adopted for these tests;
– the information to be marked on or given with the CPS's