IEC 60335-2-24:2010 deals with the safety of the following appliances, refrigerating appliances for household and similar use; ice-makers incorporating a motor-compressor and ice-makers intended to be used in frozen food storage compartments; refrigerating appliances and ice-makers for use in camping, touring caravans and boats for leisure purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances and 24 V d.c for appliances when battery operated. These appliances may be operated from the mains, from a separate battery or operated either from the mains or from a separate battery. This standard also deals with the safety of ice-cream appliances intended for household use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances. It also deals with with compression-type appliances for household and similar use, which use flammable refrigerants. The principal changes in this edition as compared with the previous edition are as follows:
- Aligns the text with IEC 60335-1, and its amendments;
- clarifies the term "household and similar use";
- updates marking requirements for supply terminals of battery operated appliances;
- introduces requirements for appliances using transcritical refrigerant systems;
- introduces an enhanced flexing test;
- introduces requirements for accessible glass panels;
- clarifies tests for appliances using flammable refrigerants. The attention of national Committees is drawn to the fact that equipment manufacturers and testing organizations may need a transitional period following publication of a new, amended or revised IEC publication in which to make products in accordance with the new requirements and to equip themselfs for conducting new or revised tests. It is the recommendation of the committee that the content of this publication be adopted for implementation nationally not earlier than 12 months or later than 36 months from the date of publication.