IEC 60384-19:2022 is applicable to fixed surface mount capacitors for direct current, with metallized electrodes and polyethylene-terephthalate dielectric for use in electronic equipment. These capacitors have metallized connecting pads or soldering strips and are intended to be mounted directly onto printed boards or onto substrates for hybrid circuits. These capacitors can have "self-healing properties" depending on conditions of use. They are primarily intended for applications where the AC component is small with respect to the rated voltage.
This part of IEC 60384 specifies preferred ratings and characteristics, and selects from IEC 60384‑1:2021 the appropriate quality assessment procedures, tests and measuring methods, and gives general performance requirements for this type of capacitor. Test severities and requirements specified in detail specifications referring to this sectional specification are of an equal or higher performance level. Lower performance levels are not permitted.
Capacitors for electromagnetic interference suppression are not included, but are covered by IEC 60384‑14.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- revision of all parts of the document based on the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2:2021, and harmonization with other similar kinds of documents;
- the document structure has been organized to follow new sectional specification structure decided in TC 40;
- revised tables and Clause 5 to prevent duplications and contradictions;
- in Clause 5.2 (Mounting), 5.2.1, 5.2.2 and 5.2.3 have been added;
- in Clause 5.5 (Shear test), 5.5.1 and 5.5.2 have been added;
- in Clause 5.14 (Component solvent resistance), 5.14.1 and 5.14.2 have been added. In Table 8 and Table A.2, test 5.14 has been moved before 5.7.5 Final inspections in Group 1A and in Subgroup C1;
- in Clause 5.15 (Solvent resistance of marking), 5.15.1 and 5.15.2 have been added;
- tangent of loss angle measurement has been added to resistance to soldering heat test;
- lot-by-lot and periodical inspection tables including requirements have been moved to Annex A;
- revised Inspection Level (IL) of A1 subgroup.