IEC 60404-8-10:2009 specifies the general requirements, magnetic properties, geometric characteristics and tolerances as well as inspection procedures for magnetic materials used primarily for relays. This standard applies to pure iron, non-alloyed and alloyed steel and ferritic stainless steel products usually delivered in either the semi-processed or fully-processed state. These materials correspond to classes A, B, C and D.3 of IEC 60404-1. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 1994 and constitutes a technical revision. The main modifications from the previous edition of the standard are as follows:
- introduction of the ferritic stainless steels and the fully-processed state in the scope of the standard (see Clause 1);
- modification of the designation with the letter R at the beginning and the condition and state at the end (see Clause 5);
- introduction of the new grades R160 and R320 (see Table 2);
- modification of the requirements for the heat treatment of test specimens for semi-processed material (see Subclause 8.3.1);
- indication in Bibliography of standards referred to in this standard as an information.