IEC 63210:2021 is applicable to both self-healing capacitor units and self-healing capacitor banks intended to be used, particularly, for power-factor correction of AC power systems having a rated voltage above 1 000 V and fundamental frequencies of 15 Hz to 60 Hz.
The following capacitors are excluded from this document:
- shunt power capacitors of the self-healing type for AC systems having a rated voltage up to and including 1 000 V (IEC 60831-1, -2);
- shunt power capacitors of the non-self-healing type for AC systems having a rated voltage up to and including 1 000 V (IEC 60931-1, -2 and -3);
- shunt capacitors of the non-self-healing type for AC power systems having a rated voltage above 1 000 V (IEC 60871-1, -2, -3 and -4);
- capacitors for inductive heat-generating plants operating at frequencies between 40 Hz and 24 000 Hz (IEC 60110-1 and -2);
- series capacitors (IEC 60143-1, -2, -3 and -4);
- AC motor capacitors (IEC 60252-1 and -2);
- coupling capacitors and capacitor dividers (IEC 60358-1, -2, -3, -4);
- capacitors for power electronic circuits (IEC 61071);
- small AC capacitors to be used for fluorescent and discharge lamps (IEC 61048 and IEC 61049);
- capacitors for suppression of radio interference;
- capacitors intended to be used in various types of electrical equipment, and thus considered as components;
- capacitors intended for use with DC voltage superimposed on the AC voltage.
Requirements for accessories such as insulators, switches, instrument transformers and external fuses are given in the relevant IEC standards and are not covered by the scope of this document.
The object of this document is to:
a) formulate uniform rules regarding performances, testing and rating;
b) formulate specific safety rules;
c) provide a guide for installation and operation.