IEC TR 62222:2021 describes the test methods for various parameters relating to the reaction to fire properties of metallic and optical fibre communications cables. The parameters have particular importance for cables intended to be installed within buildings and other structures. This document also maps the test methods and associated limits applied to the fire hazards created by particular installation conditions and which can be referenced by other international, regional and national standards. For example, it is important that compliance with the requirements and recommendations for installation methods in ISO/IEC 14763-2 taking into consideration this document improve safety concerning fire.
This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2012. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Scope rewritten to clarify and bring into line current understanding from other technical sources;
- Normative References updated to be in line with the most recent technical definitions and new additions;
- new additional terms and definitions added to Annex F since these are not used in the document;
- new inclusions to the list of abbreviated terms, some corrections;
- project reports are now in Annex E, for information only;
- Subclause about mitigation of fire hazards, about fire protection, updated with clearer information on standards plus updates where new standards have been published or amended;
- test methods, test methods conclusions and fire performance updated.