This document provides a design process for daylight openings in order to ensure the principle of sustainability in the indoor visual environment. The design process for daylight openings includes the consideration of:
- sunshine duration in the building interiors;
- daylight opening ratio to the wall area of a habitable room;
- daylight opening ratio to the floor area of a habitable room;
- appropriate levels of indoor daylight based on human visual needs and the extent of sunlight;
- daylight control systems in the building;
- thermal comfort, thermal gains and energy efficiency.
This document is applicable to building environment design for new buildings and the retrofit of existing buildings.