This document specifies safety requirements applicable to combustion engine powered pedestrian-controlled snow throwers. It is intended to be used with ISO 8437-1 and ISO 8437-4 to achieve the full requirements and means of verification for pedestrian-controlled snow throwers.
The ISO 8437 series deals with significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to snow throwers used as intended and under the conditions reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer.
It does not apply to the following:
- electrically powered and battery powered snow throwers;
- hand-held snow throwers;
- airport or highway snow removal machines and equipment;
- machines intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres.
It does not deal with hazards related to the following:
- battery circuits exceeding 42 V;
- mains connected starting motor;
- magneto grounding circuits;
- working environment;
- electromagnetic compatibility.
The ISO 8437 series is not applicable to machines that were manufactured before the date of its publication.