1.1 Scope of prEN 1997-1
(1) This document provides general rules for the design and verification of geotechnical structures.
(2) This document is applicable for the design and verification of geotechnical structures outside the scope of prEN 1997-3:2022.
NOTE In this case, additional or amended provisions can be necessary.
(1) In addition to the assumptions given in prEN 1990:2021, the provisions of prEN 1997:2022 (all parts) assume that:
- ground investigations are planned by personnel or enterprises knowledgeable about potential ground and groundwater conditions;
- ground investigations are executed by personnel having appropriate skill and experience;
- evaluation of test results and derivation of ground properties from ground investigation are carried out by personnel with appropriate geotechnical experience and qualifications;
- data required for design are collected, recorded, and interpreted by appropriately qualified and experienced personnel;
- geotechnical structures are designed and verified by personnel with appropriate qualifications and experience in geotechnical design;
- adequate continuity and communication exist between the personnel involved in data-collection, design, verification and execution.
(2) This document is intended to be used in conjunction with prEN 1990:2021, which establishes principles and requirements for the safety, serviceability, robustness, and durability of structures, including geotechnical structures, and other construction works.
(3) This document is intended to be used in conjunction with prEN 1997-2, which gives provisions rules for determining ground properties from ground investigations.
(4) This document is intended to be used in conjunction with prEN 1997-3, which gives specific rules for the design and verification of certain types of geotechnical structures.
(5) This document is intended to be used in conjunction with the other Eurocodes for the design of geotechnical structures, including temporary geotechnical structures.