This part of IEC 60519 is applicable to equipment using high frequency or microwave energy alone or in combination with other kinds of energy for industrial heating and processing of materials. It is also applicable to HF and MW generators made available to users as separate units.
This part is applicable to equipment operating in the frequency range 3 MHz to 300 GHz, with the following limitations.
- This standard applies to only high frequency dielectric heating and processing as defined in 3.1.103. It does not apply to induction heating, which it is possible to carry out in the lower part of the specified frequency band and is covered by IEC 60519-3, with magnetic field safety aspects addressed in IEC TS 62997:2017.
- The ISM centre frequencies for dielectric heating and processing of industrial interest are narrow bands about 6,78 MHz, 13,56 MHz, 27,12 MHz and 40,68 MHz. Different field emission measurement procedures and limiting values are applicable, depending on the processing frequency in the high frequency range 3 to 300 MHz. Specifications are in Annex BB.
- Since the wavelength of the high end of the microwave band at 300 GHz is very short and particular leakage measurement instrumentation is needed for the low end of the band, the microwave emission specification in Annex CC applies only for the ISM frequencies between 800 MHz and 6 GHz. The centre frequencies of these are 2,45 GHz and 5,8 GHz universally, and between 896 MHz and 918 MHz in some regions. For other microwave frequencies, IEC 62311:2019 applies.
- The foundations for compliance with emission values are the basic restrictions, referred to in the bibliography. However, maximum HF processing frequency electric and magnetic field values are taken from the IEEE/ANSI C95.1-2019 standard, as indicated in Annex BB.
- This standard is not applicable to:
- appliances for household and similar use (covered by e.g. IEC 60335-2-25:2020)
- commercial use (covered by IEC 60335-2-90:2015+AMD1:2019 and IEC 60335-2-110:2013+AMD1:2019)
- laboratory use (covered by IEC 61010-2-010:2019)
- medical high frequency equipment and accessories (covered by IEC 60601-2-2:2017)
NOTE 101 Since high frequency and microwave tunnel ovens and also some other types of microwave and high frequency equipment may be intended either for commercial, laboratory or industrial use, the following criteria are suitable for determination of the classification as industrial equipment:
- commercial equipment is typically designed and planned for series production of many identical units, whereas industrial equipment is typically produced in small series or even as single units. The processed goods are consumed or ready for final use at the end of the heating process.
- laboratory heating equipment is for preparing material in a laboratory environment, and the processed material is immediately available for investigations or further processing. Regular production of large quantities of material is not foreseen.
- with industrial equipment, the processed goods are not immediately accessible to the end user, and the goods may additionally not be in a final state from the perspective of the end user.