IEC 61784-2 (all parts) defines additional Communication Profiles (CPs) for the existing Communication Profile Families (CPFs) of IEC 61784-1 (all parts) and additional CPFs with one or more CPs. These additional CPs are based on the IEC 61158 series, IEC 61784-1 (all parts) and use provisions from ISO/IEC/IEEE 8802-3 (commonly known as Ethernet) for the lower communication stack layers. These Real-Time Ethernet (RTE) communication profiles provide Real-Time Ethernet communication solutions able to coexist with ISO/IEC/IEEE 8802-3 based applications.
NOTE 1 All CPs are based on standards or draft standards or International Standards published by the IEC or from standards or International Standards established by other standards bodies or open standards processes.
NOTE 2 The RTE communication profiles use ISO/IEC/IEEE 8802-3 communication networks and its related network components or IEC 61588 and may in some cases amend those standards to obtain RTE features.
This document defines:
- a common terminology for all CPFs in IEC 61784-2 (all parts) (see 3.1 to 3.3);
- conventions to be used in the specification of the RTE communication profiles (see 3.4);
- how conformance of a device to a CPF or a CP should be stated (see Clause 4).
This document also specifies:
- basic principles of performance indicators expressing RTE performance of a CP (see 5.1);
- how an application-dependent class could be used to find out a suitable CP to meet application requirements (see 5.2);
- characteristics of RTE performance indicators (see 5.3);
- the methodology of a conformance test for an RTE end device for one or more CPs (see Clause 6).