In general terms, the scope of the consolidation of the electrical interface requirements for electrical actuators in the EN 16603-20-21 (equivalent to ECSS-E-ST-20-21) and the relevant explanation in the present handbook is to allow a more recurrent approach both for actuator electronics (power source) and electrical actuators (power load) offered by the relevant manufacturers, at the benefit of the system integrators and of the European space agencies, thus ensuring:
- Better quality
- Stability of performances
- Independence of the products from specific mission targets.
A recurrent approach enables manufacturing companies to concentrate on products and a small step improvement approach that is the basis of a high quality industrial output.
In particular, the scope of the present handbook is:
- To explain the type of actuators, the principles of operation and the typical configuration of the relevant actuator electronics,
- To identify important issues relevant to electrical actuators interfaces, and
- To give some explanations of the requirements set up in the EN 16603-20-21.