This document supports understanding, adoption and use of EN 17748-1 (ICT BoK) that provides a reference of 42 knowledge units as required and applied in the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) professional work environment that can be understood across Europe.
This document supports Information and Communication Technology (ICT) stakeholders dealing with ICT Professional knowledge, skills and competences from multiple perspectives, in particular:
- educational institutions, learning programmes and certification providers of all types including:
- Vocational and Educational Training (VET);
- Higher education (HE);
- Continuous Professional Development (CPD);
- ICT service, user and supply organizations;
- ICT professionals, managers and human resource (HR) departments;
- social partners (trade unions and employer associations), professional associations, accreditation, validation and assessment bodies;
- market analysts and policy makers;
- and other organizations and stakeholders in public and private sectors across Europe
to adopt, apply and use the Foundational Body of Knowledge in their environment as one fundamental building block of ICT Professionalism for Europe.
See Figure 1 for illustration of document scope and target groups.
A close connection with EN 16234-1 (e-CF) and CWA 16458 (ICT Profiles) are a design element of EN 17748-1 (ICT BoK). This application support document details how to approach the complementary application of each structure by varied stakeholders of the European ICT Professionalism eco-system. It supports the use of a shared neutral reference for ICT professional development. This interconnected application is illustrated in Figure 2. Nevertheless, the ICT BoK can also be used as a stand-alone tool.
This document provides:
- An ICT BoK EXECUTIVE OVERVIEW of the scope, target groups, underlying principles and main characteristics is provided in Clause 4.
- The ICT BoK USER GUIDE in Clause 5: guidance on how to apply the Foundational Body of Knowledge for the ICT Profession from multiple ICT stakeholder perspectives. It addresses the need to further enhance the flexibility and applicability of the competences described within the e-CF as it offers further delineation and articulation of the knowledge components of competences. EN 17748-1 (ICT BoK) is intended for guidance and is designed to provide a common shared reference tool which can be implemented, adapted and used in accordance with ICT stakeholder requirements. The following implementation guidance is structured by target groups and complemented by two ICT BoK application cases. During the course of the EN 17748-1 (ICT BoK) development, real world experience was a necessary contribution to ensuring future application of the structure. Dissemination of the ICT BoK development progress enabled testing of the structure as it developed. One outcome of this open approach was that some examples of practical application, despite that at the time, not published, could be tested and made available as two application cases.
- The ICT BoK METHODOLOGY DOCUMENTATION in Clause 6: here the ICT BoK creation process is explained as well as important aspects of its development. This section supports the methodology grounding for the development, implementation and future maintenance of the ICT BoK.
- A series of ANNEXES, allowing user-targeted ICT BoK navigation according to particular viewpoints.