This document specifies product characteristics, assessment methods, compliance criteria of test results and a designation system for press fittings including their elastomeric seals, for connecting with metallic tubes. The fitting ends have a nominal diameter from 6 mm to 108 mm. The press fittings are designed for a service lifetime up to fifty years.
This document is applicable to press fittings for joining one or more of the following tubes:
- copper tubes to EN 1057; and
- stainless steel tubes to EN 10312;
with wall thicknesses and tempers as specified by the manufacturer.
The fittings are used up to the operating temperatures and maximum operating pressures as indicated in Annex A.
Press fittings are used with tubes with wall thicknesses greater than or equal to the wall thickness given in Annex B, to ensure that tubes can withstand the radial pressing forces involved.
This document applies to copper alloy fittings. A non-exhaustive list of these copper alloys is given in CEN/TS 13388.
Adaptor fittings for use with copper tubes may combine press ends with fitting ends defined in the other parts of EN 1254.
Press fittings for use with metallic tubes may also have flanged end connections according to EN 1092-3.
Press fittings for use with metallic tubes may also have a plated or other decorative surface coating.
Fittings can be produced by machining, metal forming, casting, or fabrication.
Products covered by this document are intended to be used in:
a) liquid applications:
- hot or cold or combined hot and cold water, including systems according to EN 806;
- closed heating systems according to EN 12828;
- cooling systems;
- drainage systems;
- fire protection systems including sprinkler systems according to EN 12845;
- supply systems for points of consumption with liquid fuels according to EN 12514.
b) gas applications:
- natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas systems with a maximum operating pressure less than or equal to 5 bar according to EN 1775;
- compressed air systems.