The present document applies to the following Mobile Earth Stations (MESs) radio equipment:
• Land Mobile Earth Stations (LMESs) radio equipment; and
• Maritime Mobile Earth Stations (MMESs) radio equipment not providing those distress and safety functions
required by the International Maritime Organization (IMO);
which have the following characteristics:
• these LMESs could be either vehicle mounted or portable equipment;
• these MMESs are installable equipment on ships;
• these MESs operate with user bit-rates of up to 9,6 kbits/s;
• these MESs could consist of a number of modules including a keyboard interface to the user;
• these MESs are operating as part of a satellite network used for the distribution and/or exchange of
information between users;
• this radio equipment is capable of operating in all or any part of the frequency bands given in table 1a.
Table 1a: Mobile Satellite Service frequency bands
Sub-Band Direction of transmission MSS frequency bands
Sub-Band 1 Transmit 1 (Earth to space) 1 626,5 MHz to 1 660,5 MHz
Receive 1 (space to Earth) 1 525,0 MHz to 1 559,0 MHz
Sub-Band 2 Transmit 2 (Earth to space) 1 668,0 MHz to 1 675,0 MHz
Receive 2 (space to Earth) 1 518,0 MHz to 1 525,0 MHz
The present document is intended to cover the provisions of Directive 2014/53/EU [i.8] (RE Directive) article 3.2 which
states that "….radio equipment shall be so constructed that it both effectively uses and supports the efficient use of radio
spectrum in order to avoid harmful interference".
In addition to the present document, other ENs that specify technical requirements in respect of essential requirements
under other parts of article 3 of the Directive 2014/53/EU [i.8] may apply to equipment within the scope of the present
NOTE 1: A list of such ENs is included on the web site http://www.newapproach.org. The present document
applies to the MES operated within the boundary limits of the operational environmental profile declared
by the applicant.
NOTE 2: These MES are controlled and monitored by a Network Control Facility (NCF). The NCF is outside the
scope of the present document.