IEC 60317-18:2020 specifies the requirements of enamelled rectangular copper winding wires of class 120 with a sole coating based on polyvinyl acetal or polyvinyl formal resin, which can be modified provided it retains the chemical identity of the original resin and meets all specified wire requirements
NOTE 1 A modified resin is a resin that has undergone a chemical change, or contains one or more additives to enhance certain performance or application characteristics.
NOTE 2 Polyvinyl acetate is a general name for a family of thermoplastic vinyl resins produced by the condensation of polyvinyl alcohol with an aldehyde. Examples are polyvinyl acetal, polyvinyl formal and polyvinyl butyral.
The range of nominal conductor dimensions covered by this document is:
- width: min. 2,0 mm max. 31,5 mm;
- thickness: min. 0,80 mm max. 10,0 mm.
Wires of grade 1 and grade 2 are included in this specification and apply to the complete range of conductors. The specified combinations of width and thickness as well as the specified ratio width/thickness are given in IEC 60317-0-2. This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2004 and Amendment 1:2009. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- modification of the Scope (Clause 1);
- revision to thermal class designation from 105 to 120 in 3.2.2;
- renaming of stretching test to adherence test, and modification to the requirements in 8.2;
- revision to the cut-through requirement in Clause 10.