IEC 60335-2-103:2015+A1:2017+A2:2019 deals with the safety of electric drives for horizontally and vertically moving gates, doors, garage doors and windows for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase drives and 480 V for other drives. It also covers the hazards associated with the movement of the driven part.
Battery-operated drives and other d.c. supplied drives are within the scope of this standard. Dual supply drives, either mains-supplied or battery-operated, are regarded as battery-operated drives when operated in the battery mode.
Drives not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as drives intended to be used by laymen in shops, offices, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, in industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
Requirements for drives for doors that may be used in emergency routes and exits are given in Annex AA.
Examples of drives within the scope of this standard are drives for:
- folding doors;
- revolving doors;
- rolling doors;
- roof windows;
- sectional overhead doors;
- swinging and sliding gates or doors.
Drives may be supplied with a driven part.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by drives that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
- physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
- lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the drive safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the drive.
Attention is drawn to the fact that in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to drives
- for vertically moving garage doors for residential use (60335-2-95);
- for shutters covering doors and windows (including locations where the door is set back from the shutter), awnings, blinds and similar equipment (60335-2-97);
- intended exclusively to be used by trained persons in commercial and industrial premises;
- for specific purposes, such as fire doors;
- for natural smoke exhaust ventilators not used as windows (ISO 21927-2);
- intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This standard does not apply to movement of a pedestrian door where such movement is based solely on stored energy.
This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2006 and its Amendment 1 (2010). It constitutes a technical revision.
The principal changes in this edition as compared with the second edition of IEC 60335 2 103 are as follows:
- modification of requirements in Clause 20 by introduction of new annexes.
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.
This part 2 supplements or modifies the corresponding clauses in IEC 60335-1, so as to convert that publication into the IEC standard: Safety requirements for electric drives for gates, doors and windows.
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60335-1:2013
This consolidated version consists of the third edition (2015), its amendment 1 (2017) and its amendment 2 (2019). Therefore, no need to order amendments in addition to this publication.