IEC 60335-2-74:2021 deals with the safety of portable electric immersion heaters for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
– appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– heating elements incorporated in portable appliances, such as appliances for heating liquids (IEC 60335 2 15);
– aquarium heaters (IEC 60335-2-55);
– fixed immersion heaters (IEC 60335-2-73)
– battery-operated appliances.
This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2002, Amendment 1: 2006 and Amendment 2:2009. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) the text has been aligned with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) some notes have been converted to normative text (Clause 1, 7.1);
c) requirements for appliances that maintain a liquid at a set temperature are added (19.1, 30.2).
This Part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.