IEC 60335-2-89:2019 specifies safety requirements for electrically operated commercial refrigerating appliances and ice-makers that have an incorporated motor-compressor or that are supplied in two units for assembly as a single appliance in accordance with the instructions (split system).
Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are
– refrigerated display and storage cabinets;
– refrigerated trolley cabinets;
– service counters and self-service counters;
– blast chillers and blast freezers;
– commercial ice-makers.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by these types of appliances including those that use flammable refrigerants and appliances employing R 744 refrigerant.
This International Standard is not applicable to appliances with a mass of flammable refrigerant exceeding the limits specified in 22.110 or to appliances with that use refrigerants with a toxicity classification of B according to ISO 817.
It does not cover those features of construction and operation of refrigerating appliances that are dealt with in ISO standards.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or aboard ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
– appliances using flammable refrigerant in transcritical refrigeration systems;
– domestic refrigerating appliances (IEC 60335-2-24);
– split systems having a refrigerant charge of flammable refrigerant exceeding 150 g in any refrigerating circuit;
– industrial refrigerating systems;
– motor-compressors (IEC 60335-2-34);
– commercial dispensing appliances and vending machines (IEC 60335-2-75);
– commercial ice-cream appliances;
– cold temperature rooms;
– multiple refrigerated chambers with a remote motor-compressor.
This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2010, Amendment 1:2012 and Amendment 2:2015. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– the text has been aligned with Ed 5.2 of Part 1;
– some notes have been deleted or converted to normative text (4, 5.2, 7.6, 22.111, 22.111.1);
– some subclauses have been renumbered (22.103, 22.104, 22.105, 22.106, 22.107, 22.109, 22.110, 22.111, 22.112, 22.113, 22.114, 22.115);
– requirements for commercial ice-makers have been added (5.7, 5.101, 7.1, 11.8, 19.102);
– installation of appliances with a remote refrigerant unit or motor-compressor has been clarified (5.10, 11.2);
– installation instructions for appliances with a remote refrigerant unit employing R-744 refrigerant in a transcritical refrigeration system have been added (7.12.1);
– a pressure test for appliances employing R-744 refrigerant has been added (22.7);
– additional refrigerants have been added to Table 102 and it has been updated to reference only ISO 817 and ISO 5149-1 data;
– additional requirements for appliances with a refrigerant charge exceeding 150 g of flammable refrigerant within each refrigerating circuit have been added (7.1, 21.103, 22.108, 22.110, 22.116, 22.117, 22.118, 22.119, 22.120, 22.121, Annex CC);
– Annex AA has been modified to cover motors that are supplied at a voltage that is different from the rated voltage of the appliance;
– Annex BB has been updated to align with the latest edition of IEC 60079-15.
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.