This document specifies a procedure for data profiling to generate the foundation for performing data quality assessment. This profiling is applicable to data sets that are either originally in a structure of tables and columns or are the output from a transformation to create such a structure.
NOTE 1 Data profiling is applicable to all types of database technology.
The following are within the scope of this document:
- performing structure analysis to determine data element concepts;
- performing column analysis to identify relevant data elements, including statistics about a data set;
- performing relationship analysis to identify dependencies in a data set.
The following are outside the scope of this document:
- methods for extracting and sampling data to be profiled from a data set;
- deriving data rules;
- measuring the extent of nonconformities in a data set.
NOTE 2 ISO 8000-8 specifies approaches to measuring data and information quality.
This document can be used in conjunction with, or independently of, quality management systems standards.