To ensure safety and interoperability, this document gives:
- the limits for in-service and off-vehicle wheelsets;
- the operations to be carried out for which the specific values (and/or criteria) remain to be defined in the maintenance plan.
This document applies to wheelsets and axle boxes complying with the following European standards:
- EN 13103-1:2017;
- EN 13260:2020, EN 13261:2020, EN 13262:2020;
- EN 13979-1:2020;
- EN 13715:2020;
- EN 13749:2021;
- the axle fitted with wheels of diameters greater than or equal to 330 mm;
- axle boxes with bearings and grease.
This document is also applicable to wheelsets:
- fitted with brake discs, final drive, transmission or noise-damping systems, as appropriate;
- not complying with the above European standards, but complying with the international requirements in force, for example in UIC leaflets, before the approval of these standards;
- with tyred wheels;
- with resilient wheels.
For equipment not covered by Directive 2016/797/EC, this European Standard may be applied, noting that different values may be used.
All dimensions in this document are in millimetres (mm).
It is necessary to describe in a specific document the tasks to be performed in order to maintain wheelsets within the limits defined therein.
NOTE The specific values and criteria are defined in an appropriate maintenance plan.