This European Standard specifies all necessary design rules and associated assessment criteria as well as guidance concerning the design of information and the corresponding user interfaces of driver’s cabs of EMU, DMU, Railcars, Locomotives and Driving trailers.
NOTE 1 This standard applies to rolling stock in the scope of the Directive 2008/57/EC.
It considers the tasks the driver has to carry out and human factors. This standard specifies how information is arranged and displayed. It is explicitly applicable to display applications like TRD, ETD, CCD and TDD and may be completed by the CLC/TS 50459 series.
This standard is not applicable to legacy ATP systems. If requirements in this standard are in conflict with the ERA DMI document (ERA_ERTMS_015560) the requirements of the ERA DMI document should prevail for the CCD ETCS application.
NOTE 2 For resolving any discrepancies (e.g. 188.8.131.52) ERA is expected to harmonize the usage philosophy of the ERA DMI with this standard.
All assessments based on the normative requirements of this standard are applicable mainly to
- symbols provided by Annex A,
- arrangement of screen areas conform with Figure 1 (generic organization of information),
- colours, fonts,
- audible information.
This standard is applicable to the following aspects:
- legibility and intelligibility of displayed information: general rules concerning the layout of information on the displays, including character size and spacing;
- definition of harmonized colours, symbols, etc.;
- definition of harmonized principles for the command interface (by physical or touchscreen buttons): size, symbols, reaction time, way to give feedback to the driver, etc.;
- general arrangements (dialogue structures, sequences, layout philosophy, colour philosophy), symbols, audible information, data entry arrangements.
NOTE 3 If this standard deals with how information can be given for operation and in degraded situations, it does not define operating rules and degraded situations.
This standard does not request any safety requirement related with displayed information.
This standard specifies minimum requirements and does not prevent more complex solutions.
Requirements describing the functions using the display are out of scope of this standard.
This standard is not intended to be applicable for tramway, metros and light rail vehicles.