The Part 1 (harmonised) European Standard will specify the characteristics of aggregates for use in
• concrete for buildings, roads and other civil engineering works,
• bituminous mixtures and surface treatments for roads, airfields and other trafficked areas,
• unbound and hydraulically bound materials for use in civil engineering work and road construction.
Aggregates to be covered in this European Standard, are obtained by processing natural, manufactured or recycled materials and mixtures of these materials. Families of aggregates covered will include coarse aggregates, grit, fine aggregates, natural graded aggregates, all-in aggregates and added fillers.
The standard will cover natural and manufactured aggregates having an oven dried particle density greater than 2,00 Mg/m3 and recycled aggregates with particle densities greater than 1,50 Mg/m3. Natural and manufactured aggregates of density less than or equal to 2,00 Mg/m3 are already covered by our existing standard EN 13055.
The standard will not cover
• the use of reclaimed bituminous mixtures. Reclaimed asphalt for use as a constituent of bituminous mixtures is specified in EN 13108-8.
• use of aggregates as soil
• the creation of unbound mixtures for road construction from aggregates as this aspect is specified in EN13285.
The non-harmonised Part 2 standard will provide non-contradictory complementary information to assist in the practical application of the Part 1 standard, including advice on the reasons for testing and declaring various characteristics and recommendations for the practical implementation of factory production control measures.