This document specifies the additional requirements to EN 81-20:2020 for passenger and goods passenger lifts, which can be used to support faster evacuation of persons with disabilities and persons with walking difficulties, including in case of fire alarm.
This document does not apply to:
- lifts installed into buildings which are not in accordance with Annex C;
- lifts for evacuation due to circumstances which introduce other hazards such as explosion threat, chemical or biological attack, flooding, storm damage, or earthquake. In these cases, this document can be used as a basis with further measures as required from risk assessment.
The following significant hazards are out of the scope of this document (see Table 2):
- fire or smoke in the evacuation lift well, safe areas or machinery spaces;
- ingress of water to the lift well during evacuation process;
- insufficient or incorrectly located evacuation lifts;
- insufficient evacuation capacity;
- entrapment in waiting area (safe area) due to absence of lift service or adjacent stairs;
- structural collapse or failure of building services (including public supply network, lighting, ventilation) before the evacuation using lifts has been completed;
- presence of harmful gases, potentially explosive atmosphere, extreme climate conditions, transport of dangerous goods.