This part of IEC 61800 specifies requirements for adjustable speed electrical Power Drive Systems (PDS) or their elements, with respect to electrical, thermal, fire, mechanical, energy and other relevant hazards. It does not cover the driven equipment except for interface requirements. It applies to adjustable speed electrical PDS which include the power conversion, Basic Drive Module (BDM)/Complete Drive Module (CDM) control, and a motor or motors.
Excluded are traction and electric vehicle BDM/CDM.
It applies to low-voltage adjustable speed electrical PDS intended to feed a motor or motors from a BDM/CDM connected to phase-to-phase voltages of up to and including 1,0 kV AC (50 Hz or 60 Hz) and up to and including 1,5 kV DC.
It also applies to high-voltage adjustable speed electrical PDS intended to feed a motor or motors from a BDM/CDM connected phase-to-phase voltages up to and including 35 kV AC (50 Hz or 60 Hz) and up to and including 52 kV DC.
NOTE 1: Above voltage and frequency limits reflect the scope of IEC 61800-1, IEC 61800-2 and IEC 61800-4.
NOTE 2: For adjustable speed elctrical PDS not covered by the scope of this standard, applicable requirements of other standards, e.g. IEC 62477-2, can be used.
This part of IEC 61800 also applies to PDS which intentionally emits or receives radio waves for the purpose of radio communication.
Other parts of IEC 61800, which are not applicable for compliance with this standard, cover other aspect such as
• rating specifications for low-voltage adjustable speed DC power drive systems is covered in IEC 61800-1
• rating specifications for low-voltage AC power drive systems is covered in IEC 61800-2
• EMC which is covered in IEC 61800-3
• rating specification for high-voltage AC power drive systems is covered in IEC 61800-4 (will be combined with IEC 61800-2 Ed.3)
• functional safety which is covered in IEC 61800-5-2
• safety requirements for encoders in IEC 61800-5-3
• type of Load duty which are covered by IEC/TR 61800-6
• communication profiles which are covered by IEC 61800-7 series
• power interface voltage specification which is covered by IEC/TS 61800-8.
• energy efficiency which is covered in IEC 61800-9 series
• IEC/TS 62578, covering active infeed converters (is not applicable for compliance with this standard).
Motors for driven equipment (see Figure 1) shall comply with IEC 60034 series.
Unless specifically stated, the requirements of this International Standard apply to all parts of the PDS, including the BDM/CDM (see Figure 1).
NOTE 3: In some cases, safety requirements of the PDS (for example, protection 847 against direct contact) can necessitate the use of special components and/or additional measures.