The present document specifies tests applicable to all Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications (DECT) equipment accessing the DECT frequency band 1 880 MHz to 1 900 MHz (including provisions for testing other or extended frequency bands as described in ETSI EN 300 175-1 [i.11] and ETSI EN 300 175-2 ). Part 2 of the present multi-part deliverable [i.15] specifies tests applicable to DECT speech and audio transmission using a collection of speech codecs, including Recommendation ITU-T G.726 [i.7] ADPCM codec, Recommendation ITU-T G.722 [i.8] "7 kHz codec", "MPEG-4 codec" [i.10] and others.
The aims of the present document are to ensure:
• efficient use of frequency spectrum;
• no harm done to any connected network and its services;
• no harm done to other radio networks and services;
• no harm done to other DECT equipment or its services;
• interworking of terminal equipment via the public network.
The tests of ETSI EN 300 176 are split into two parts:
• the present document (part 1) covers testing of radio frequency parameters, security elements and those DECT protocols that facilitate the radio frequency tests and efficient use of frequency spectrum;
• part 2 [i.15] describes testing of speech and audio requirements between network interface and DECT PT, or between a DECT CI air interface and alternatively a DECT PT or FT. Part 2 is not applicable to terminal equipment specially designed for the disabled (e.g. with amplification of received speech as an aid for the hard-of-hearing).
DECT terminal equipment consists of the following elements:
a) Fixed Part (FP);
b) Portable Part (PP);
c) Cordless Terminal Adapter (CTA);
d) Wireless Relay Station (WRS) (FP and PP combined);
e) Hybrid Part (HyP) (a PP with capability to act as a FP to provide PP to PP communication).
Details of the DECT Common Interface may be found in ETSI EN 300 175-1 [i.11], ETSI EN 300 175 parts 2 to 3  to , ETSI EN 300 175-4 [i.12], ETSI EN 300 175 parts 5 to 6  to , and ETSI EN 300 175 parts 7 to 8 [i.13] to [i.14]. Further details of the DECT system may be found in the ETSI Technical Reports, ETSI TR 101 178 [i.1] and ETSI ETR 043 [i.2]. Information about ULE may be found in the ETSI Technical Specifications ETSI TS 102 939-1 [i.20] and ETSI TS 102 939-2 [i.21].