This document applies to particular all-or-nothing electrical relays denominated solid-state relays intended for performing electrical operations by single step function changes to the state of electric circuits between the OFF-state and the ON-state and vice versa.
This document deals with solid-state relays which are intended for incorporation in other products or equipment. As such, solid-state relays are considered to be components and this document defines the basic safety-related and functional requirements for solid-state relays as stand-alone components.
Such solid-state relays are incorporated in products or equipment which themselves comply with the relevant product and/or application standard(s) to meet their intended application.
NOTE: The following are examples of such applications:
general industrial equipment;
building automation and environmental control;
automation and process control;
electrical installation engineering;
Solid State Relay as apparatus:
Where the solid-state relay is specified as apparatus with a function to the end-user, requirements on EMC are given in this document.
Solid State Relay as component:
There are no EMC requirements for solid-state relays intended for incorporation into the equipment by the equipment manufacturer, because the performance strongly depends on the application into the equipment.
The object of this document is to state:
– The requirements and test methods on electrical safety of solid-state relays
– the requirements and test methods on EMC;
– the characteristics of solid-state relays
– the requirements which apply to solid-state relays with reference to
a) their operation and behaviour;
b) their dielectric properties;
– the tests verifying that the requirements have been met, and the test methods to be adopted;
– the information to be given with the solid-state relay or in the product documentation.