This document presents the stage of knowledge resulting from the Euraxles project about the design of the axle, and further steps to be taken.
It is the support:
- to define the loads to be taken into account;
- to describe the stress calculation method using finite elements and the validation processes associated;
- to specify the maximum permissible stresses to be assumed in calculations and the safety factors to be used.
This technical report is applicable for:
- wheelset Axles defined in EN 13261 as "pure wheelset";
- other axle designs such as those encountered in particular rolling stocks e.g. with independent wheels, variable gauges, urban rail...
This document has not for aim to replace EN 13103-1 and CEN/TS 13103-2 but to present a complementary method to the existing ones.