This European Standard is applicable to manhole tops and gully tops with a clear opening up to and including 1 000 mm for covering gullies, manholes and inspection chambers installed in areas subjected to pedestrian and/or vehicular traffic. It specifies definitions, classification, general principles of design, performance requirements and test methods for gully tops and manhole tops according to:
- EN 124-2, for gully tops and manhole tops made of cast iron;
- EN 124-3, for gully tops and manhole tops made of steel or aluminium alloy;
- EN 124-4, for gully tops and manhole tops made of steel reinforced concrete;
- EN 124-5, for gully tops and manhole tops made of composite materials;
- EN 124-6, for gully tops and manhole tops made of polypropylene (PP), polyethylene (PE) or unplasticized poly(vinyl chloride) (PVC-U).
Part 1 is only applicable in combination with at least one of the standards EN 124-2, EN 124-3, EN 124-4, EN 124-5 and EN 124-6 each of which has this Part 1 as an integral part.
This European Standard is not applicable to:
- gratings/covers as part of prefabricated drainage channels according to EN 1433,
- floor and roof gullies in buildings which are specified in EN 1253-1 (all parts),
- surface boxes.