This European Standard (EN 16157 series) specifies and defines component facets supporting the exchange and shared use of data and information in the field of traffic and travel.
The component facets include the framework and context for exchanges, the modelling approach, data content, data structure and relationships.
This European Standard is applicable to:
- Traffic and travel information which is of relevance to road networks (non-urban and urban),
- Public transport information that is of direct relevance to the use of a road network (e.g. road link via train or ferry service),
- Traffic and travel information in the case of Cooperative intelligent transport systems (C-ITS).
This European Standard establishes specifications for data exchange between any two instances of the following actors:
- Traffic Information Centres (TICs),
- Traffic Control Centres (TCCs),
- Service Providers (SPs),
Use of this European Standard may be applicable for use by other actors.
This European Standard series covers, at least, the following types of informational content:
- Road traffic event information – planned and unplanned occurrences both on the road network and in the surrounding environment,
- Operator initiated actions,
- Road traffic measurement data, status data, and travel time data,
- Travel information relevant to road users, including weather and environmental information,
- Road traffic management information and instructions relating to use of the road network.
This part of the CEN/TS 16157 series specifies the informational structures, relationships, roles, attributes and associated data types required for publishing variable message sign information within the Datex II framework. This is specified in two publications, a DATEX II VMS Table Publication sub-model and a VMS Publication sub-model, which are part of the DATEX II platform independent model, but this part excludes those elements that relate to:
- location information which are specified in EN 16157-2,
- common information elements, which are specified in EN 16157-7,
- situation information which are specified in EN 16157-3.
The VMS Table Publication supports the occasional exchange of tables containing generally static reference information about deployed VMS which enable subsequent efficient references to be made to pre-defined static information relating to those VMS. The VMS Publication supports the exchange of the graphic and textual content of one or several VMS plus any status information on device configuration that aid the comprehension of the informational content. This content is potentially subject to rapid change.
These publications are not intended to support the control or configuration of VMS equipment. Each is part of the DATEX II platform independent model.