This European Standard specifies requirements for the construction and performances of other pyrotechnic articles, except pyrotechnic articles for vehicles, ignition devices and cartridges for powder actuated tools (PAT), of the following generic types:
- flash devices;
- gas generators;
- other cartridges;
- pyromechanical devices;
- rockets and rocket motors;
- semi-finished pyrotechnic articles;
- smoke / aerosol generators;
- sound emitters;
- pyrotechnic liquid dispersers.
This European Standard does not apply for articles containing pyrotechnic compositions that include any of the following substances:
- arsenic or arsenic compounds;
- mercury compounds;
- lead compounds (except for those included in ignition devices);
- white phosphorus;
- picrates or picric acid.
This European Standard does not apply to pyrotechnic articles that contain detonative explosives other than black powder and/or flash composition, if these detonative explosives:
- can be easily extracted from the pyrotechnic article, or;
- can initiate secondary explosives, or;
- can function in a detonative manner although the article is not designed to detonate and the article belongs to the category P2.