This European Standard specifies the safety requirements for the design, manufacture and information for safe use of vertical baling presses for compacting waste material or recyclable fractions (e. g. paper, plastics, textiles, cans, cardboard, mixed waste), hereafter referred to as materials.
This standard covers vertical baling presses:
- that are manually or mechanically fed; and
- with fixed enclosed baling chambers (single or multiple chamber presses); and
- with a mechanically, hydraulically or pneumatically operated compacting equipment; and
- where the compacted bale is tied manually in the baling chamber; and
- with manual unloading or mechanical ejection of the compacted bale.
The scope of this standard includes any mechanical feed equipment, such as belt type conveyors or bin lifts, forming an integral part of the baling press assembly. It also includes integral material flow control equipment.
This standard does not apply to:
- vertical baling presses without fixed enclosed baling chamber(s); or
- round balers or roll baling machines; or
- machines where the compressed material is bagged; or
- pneumatic conveying systems; or
- equipment for transporting the balers; or
- local exhaust ventilation for the removal of dusts or vapours; or
- hazards arising from any integral pre-conditioning equipment; or
- hazards arising from the materials being processed (e.g. asbestos, clinical waste, flammable or explosive materials, unhealthy or poisonous waste).
This standard does not apply to cranes, lift trucks or other mobile plant used to load materials into the feed opening. Nor does it apply to hazards arising from loading materials into the feed opening using cranes, lift trucks or other mobile plant.
This standard does not include requirements to meet the specifications of the ATEX Directive 94/9/EC.
All hazards mentioned in Clause 4 are dealt with in this European Standard.
This European Standard is not applicable for vertical baling presses which are manufactured before the date of its publication as an EN.