This European Standard applies to "Side by Side machines" or "SbSs" as defined in Clause 3, propelled by internal combustion engines using liquid fuels (petrol, diesel, bio-fuels, lpg) and/or electric drive, intended to be used primarily on unpaved surfaces and not intended to be used on public roads ).
This European Standard defines safety requirements relating to the elements of design, operation, and maintenance of Side by Side machines and deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to Side by Side machines, when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer (see Clause 4). It deals with the significant hazards during the whole lifecycle of the product as defined in of EN ISO 12100:2010, 5.3
This European Standard is not dealing with:
- Side by Side Machines exclusively intended for competition );
- Side by Side Machines intended to be used by persons under the age of 14 years;
- agricultural and forestry tractors coming under Regulation (EU)167/2013;
- 3 or 4 wheeled vehicles coming under Regulation (EU)168/2013;
- accessories for additional functions );
- the additional hazards due to the use of the Side by Side Machine on public roads;
- the additional hazards due to the use of remote control.
This document is not intended to cover all terrain machines (ATVs) complying with EN 15997.
This European Standard is not applicable to Side by Side machines which are manufactured before the date of its publication as EN.