This European Standard specifies requirements and provides recommendations for the following aspects of information technology cabling:
b) installation practice.
This European Standard is applicable to all types of information technology cabling outside buildings including generic cabling systems designed in accordance with EN 50173 series. The requirements and recommendations of this European Standard may be applied to cabling that is defined as part of the building.
The requirements and recommendations of Clauses 4, 5 and 6 of this European Standard are subject to any site-specific requirements and recommendations of Clause 7.
The planning of the pathway systems, spaces and structures within the core and access network cabling as described in Figure 2 that are owned by access providers is excluded except for requirements and recommendations that provide basic safety, function and environmental objectives for mechanical, ingress and climatic characteristics (i.e. excluding pathway dimensions, distribution of spaces and similar constraints based on specific transmission methods).
The installation practices applicable to all cabling installation methods are included by the provision of the necessary planning requirements and recommendations associated with each one with the exception of information technology cabling installed:
– around or within aerial power supply or associated earth conductors;
– on infrastructures carrying power supplies in excess of AC/DC 25 kV.
This European Standard:
1) details the considerations for satisfactory installation and operation of information technology cabling;
2) excludes specific requirements applicable to other cabling systems (e.g. power supply cabling); however, it takes account of the effects other cabling systems may have on the installation of information technology cabling (and vice versa) and gives general advice;
3) excludes those aspects of installation associated with the transmission of signals in free space between transmitters, receivers or their associated antenna systems (e.g. wireless, radio, microwave or satellite).
This European Standard is applicable to certain hazardous environments. It does not exclude additional requirements which are applicable in particular circumstances, defined by e.g. electricity supply and electrified railways.
The requirements within this European Standard do not cover any additional requirements for the information technology cables installed in hazardous or stressful environments e.g. electricity supply and electric railway locations (see Clause 7).