This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This European Standard deals with the safety of electrical appliances for heating liquids for
household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
NOTE Z101 Some appliances may be used for heating food.
NOTE Z102 Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are
– cooking pans,
– egg boilers,
– feeding-bottle heaters,
– kettles and other appliances for boiling water, having a rated capacity not exceeding 10 l,
– milk heaters,
– pressure cookers having a rated cooking pressure not exceeding 140 kPa and a rated capacity not exceeding
– rice cookers,
– slow cookers,
– steam cookers,
– soy milk makers,
– tea makers,
– wash boilers,
– yoghurt makers.
– Pot coffee-makers
Appliances can have more than one function.
Appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops and other premises for normal
housekeeping purposes, are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE Z103 Examples of such appliances are
– glue pots with a water jacket,
– livestock feed boilers,
If the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial
consumption, that appliance is not considered to be for household or similar use only.
NOTE Z104 Examples of appliance for household environment are appliances for typical housekeeping
functions used in the household environment that may also be used by non expert users for typical housekeeping
– in shops and other similar working environments;
– in farm houses;
– by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments;
– in bed and breakfast type environments.
NOTE Z105 Household environments include the dwelling and its associated buildings, the garden, etc.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances
that are encountered by all persons in household and similar environments.
However, in general, it does not take into account children playing with appliances and their
use by very young children.
It does not take into account the use of the following appliances by children:
– pressure cookers;
– glue pots with a water jacket;
– livestock feed boilers;
– soy milk makers;
– wash boilers.
– Pot coffee-makers
It does not take into account the use of the following appliances by young children without
– cooking pans;
– slow cookers;
– steam cookers;
– tea makers;
– rice cookers;
– coffee makers;
– egg boilers;
– milk heaters.
NOTE Z106 Feeding bottle heaters and yoghurt makers may be used by young children.
It is recognized that very vulnerable people may have needs beyond the level addressed in
NOTE Z107 Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities
responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE Z108 This standard does not apply to
– frying pans and deep fat fryers (EN 60335-2-13),
– storage water heaters (EN 60335-2-21),
– instantaneous water heaters (EN 60335-2-35),
– surface-cleaning appliances employing liquids or steam (EN 60335-2-54),
– portable immersion heaters (EN 60335-2-74),
– commercial dispensing appliances and vending machines (EN 60335-2-75),
– appliances for medical purposes (EN 60601),
– appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes,
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive
or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas),
– appliances for high-frequency heating,
– pressure sterilizers,
– humidifiers for household and similar use (EN 60335-2-98).
NOTE Z109 Attention is drawn to the fact that in many countries requirements for pressure vessels are applied to