This part of IEC 60839 specifies the minimum functionality, performance requirements and
test methods for electronic access control systems and components used for physical access
(entry and exit) in and around buildings and protected areas. It does not include requirements
for access point actuators and sensors.
This standard is not intended to cover requirements for off premise transmission associated
with intrusion or hold up alarm signals.
This standard applies to electronic access control systems and components intended to be
used in security applications for the granting of access and includes requirements for logging,
identification and control of information.
The standard comprises the following:
– A conceptual model and system architecture.
– Criteria covering:
• classification based on performance functionalities and capabilities;
• access point interface requirements;
• indication and annunciation requirements (display, alert, logging);
• duress signalling and overriding;
• recognition requirements;
• system self-protection requirements;
• communication between the component parts of the electronic access control system
and with other systems.
– Requirements for environmental conditions (indoor/outdoor use) and electromagnetic
– Test methods.