IEC 60335-2-39:2021 deals with the safety of electrically operated commercial multi-purpose cooking pans, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances connected between one phase and neutral and 480 V for other appliances. This standard also deals with pressurized appliances and appliances with pressurized parts.
These appliances are not intended for household and similar purposes. They are used for commercial processing of food in areas not open to the public, for example in kitchens of restaurants, canteens, hospitals and in commercial enterprises such as bakeries and butcheries.
The electrical part of appliances making use of other forms of energy is also within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by these types of appliances.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- appliances for continuous mass production of food;
- deep fat fryers (IEC 60335-2-37);
- battery-operated appliances.
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2012 and Amendment 1:2017. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) the text has been aligned with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) some notes have been converted to normative text or modified (Clause 1, 15.1, 15.102, 16.2, 19.101, 27.2);
c) exclusion of battery-operated appliances and appliances used in areas open to the public (Clause 1);
d) relocation of cleaning instructions from 7.12.1 to 7.12;
e) relocation of 24.101 to 22.115;
f) conciliation of the text of IEC 60335-2-39 with other standards under IEC/TC61/MT32;
g) clarifications and modifications to some test specifications have been made (9.101, 11.4, 15.1.1, 15.102, 20.1, 25.3).
This Part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.