IEC 60335-2-69:2021 deals with the safety of electrical motor-operated vacuum cleaners, including back-pack vacuum cleaners, and dust extractors, for wet suction, dry suction, or wet and dry suction, intended for commercial indoor or outdoor use with or without attachments. These machines may be provided with a blowing or inflating function. The inner diameter of the dust container connector to the suction hose shall not exceed 200 mm.
It also deals with the safety of centrally-sited vacuum cleaners, excluding the installation of the system.
Attention is drawn to the fact that additional requirements on the safe installation of centrally-sited vacuum cleaners are not addressed by this standard but need to be taken into account.
This standard applies to machines for commercial use. The following list, although not comprehensive, gives an indication of locations that are included in the scope:
– public use areas such as hotels, schools, hospitals;
– industrial locations, for example factories and manufacturing shops;
– retail outlets, for example shops and supermarkets;
– business premises, for example offices and banks;
– all uses other than normal housekeeping purposes.
These machines are not equipped with a traction drive. The following power systems are covered:
– mains powered motors up to a rated voltage of 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances,
– battery-operated motors.
Machines for the same intended function but equipped with a traction drive are covered by IEC 60335-2-72.
This standard also applies to machines handling hazardous dust, such as asbestos, and combustible dust in other than an explosive dust atmosphere.
Additional requirements for machines handling hazardous dust are given in normative Annex AA. Attention is drawn to the fact that in many countries additional requirements on hazardous substances might apply.
Radioactive substances are not covered by definition of hazardous dust for the purposes of this standard.
This standard does not apply to
– vacuum cleaners and water-suction cleaning appliances for household use (IEC 60335-2-2);
– floor treatment machines for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-67, IEC 60335-2-72);
– spray extraction machines for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-68);
IEC 60335-2-67 and IEC 60335-2-68 cover only machines without traction drive.
– hand-held mains-operated electrical garden blowers, vacuums and blower vacuums (IEC 60335-2-100);
– hand-held and transportable motor-operated electric tools (IEC 60745 series, IEC 61029 series, IEC 62841 series);
– appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601-1);
– machines designed for use in corrosive environments;
– machines designed for picking up liquids with a flash point below 55 °C;
– machines designed for use in explosive environments (dust, vapour or gas), except those designed for use in zone 22;
– machines intended to vacuum ash from fireplaces, chimneys, ovens, ashtrays and similar places of ash accumulation.
This sixth edition cancels and replaces the fifth edition published in 2016. It constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– editorial and technical alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
– addition of requirements for pick-up of combustible dusts in other than an explosive dust atmosphere.
This part 2 is only to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.