Withdrawn from 15.01.2021
IEC 60794-1-2: 2017 applies to optical fibre cables for use with telecommunications equipment and devices employing similar techniques, and to cables having a combination of both optical fibres and electrical conductors. The prime objective of this document is to provide the end user with an overview about the content of different parts of the IEC 60794-1 series numbered -2X. Table 1 shows the different parts.
Test methods IEC reference
General guidance IEC 60794-1-2
Method E Mechanical IEC 60794-1-21
Method F Environmental IEC 60794-1-22
Methods G Cable elements IEC 60794-1-23
Methods H Electrical IEC 60794-1-24
NOTE Several numbers in the test method numbering sequence are missing. The reasons for these omissions are historical. To avoid confusion, the existing numbering sequence has been retained.
These documents define test procedures to be used in establishing uniform requirements for the geometrical, transmission, material, mechanical, ageing (environmental exposure) and climatic properties of optical fibre cables, and electrical requirements where appropriate. Throughout the documents, the wording "optical cable" can also include optical fibre units, microduct fibre units, etc.
The secondary objective of this document is to provide the end user with useful guidance when testing optical fibre cables.
This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2013 and IEC 60794-1-20 published in 2014. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition and to IEC 60794-1-20:
- the multiple cross-reference tables have been deleted and replaced with a higher level one related to the generic standards;
- all pertinent text from IEC 60794-1-20 has been included;
- standard optical test wavelengths have been introduced;
- this document has been streamlined by cross-referencing IEC60794-1-1;
- the "No change in attenuation" definitions contained in IEC 60794-1-20 have been transferred to IEC 60794-1-1;
- the title has been modified to reflect the contents of the new edition.
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60794-1-1:2015.