IEC 61083-1:2021 is applicable to digital recorders, including digital oscilloscopes, used for measurements during tests with high impulse voltages and high impulse currents. It specifies the measuring characteristics and calibrations required to meet the measuring uncertainties and procedures specified in IEC 60060-2 and IEC 62475.
• defines the terms specifically related to digital recorders;
• specifies the necessary requirements for such instruments to ensure their compliance with the requirements for high-voltage and high-current impulse tests;
• establishes the tests and procedures necessary to demonstrate their compliance;
• covers digital recorders that permit access to raw data from permanent or temporary storage;
• covers peak meters used for measuring the extreme value of lightning impulses, the peak value of switching or current impulses.
It has the status of a horizontal standard in accordance with IEC Guide 108.
This horizontal standard is primarily intended for use by technical committees in the preparation of standards in accordance with the principles laid down in IEC Guide 108. One of the responsibilities of a technical committee is, wherever applicable, to make use of horizontal standards in the preparation of its publications. The contents of this horizontal standard will not apply unless specifically referred to or included in the relevant publications.
This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2001. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) Requirements for static integral non-linearity and static differential non-linearity have been removed.
b) Requirement for impulse scale factor non-linearity has been added.
c) Uncertainty requirements for impulse calibrators have been revised.
d) Requirements for peak voltmeter have been revised.