IEC 61300-3-30:2020 describes a method of measuring the end face geometry of rectangular multifibre ferrules having an IEC defined optical interface. The primary attributes are fibre position relative to the end face, either withdrawal or protrusion, end face angle relative to the guide pin bores, fibre tip radii and core dip for multimode fibres. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2003. This edition constitutes a technical revision.This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- measurement of the individual fibre tip radii;
- introduction of the geometry limit (GL) metric;
- introduction of the minus coplanarity metric;
- new method for measuring the core dips;
- all measurement regions are now identical for MM and SM fibres;
- the ferrule surface angle sign convention has been changed.