IEC PAS 62840-3:2021 applies to battery swap systems for removable RESS of electric road vehicle when connected to the supply network, with a rated supply voltage up to 480 V AC or up to 400 V DC, for battery systems with a rated voltage up to 120 V DC.
This document applies to battery swap systems for removable RESS/EV where the removable RESS/EV is stored for the purpose of transfer power between the battery swap station and removable RESS/EV.
Requirements for bidirectional energy transfer DC to AC are under consideration and are not part of this document.
This document applies to:
– battery swap systems supplied from on-site storage systems (for example buffer batteries etc;
– manual, mechanically assisted and automatic systems);
– battery swap systems intended to supply removable battery systems having communication allowing to identify the battery system characteristics;
– battery swap systems intended to be installed at an altitude of up to 2 000 m.
The aspects covered in this document include:
– requirements for power transfer between the battery systems;
– additional requirements for communication;
– the connection to supply network.
Additional requirements may apply to special locations.
This document does not apply to:
– safety requirements for mechanical equipment covered by ISO 10218 (all parts);
– locking compartments systems providing AC socket-outlets for the use of manufacturer specific voltage converter units and manufacturer specific battery systems;
– safety aspects related to maintenance;
– electrical devices and components which are covered by their specific product standards;
– trolley buses, rail vehicles;
– any on-board equipment which is covered by ISO;
– EMC requirements for on-board equipment while connected to the supply, which are covered by IEC 61851-21-1.
Requirements for battery swap systems using protective measures as covered by 410 of IEC 60364-4-41:2005 other than double or reinforced insulation are under consideration.