This part of IEC 62351 defines the application authentication mechanism (A-profile) specifying messages, procedures and algorithms for securing the operation of all protocols based on or derived from IEC 60870-5: Telecontrol Equipment and Systems - Transmission Protocols.
This Standard applies to at least those protocols listed in Table 1.
The initial audience for this International Standard is intended to be the members of the working groups developing the protocols listed in Table 1.
For the measures described in this standard to take effect, they must be accepted and referenced by the specifications for the protocols themselves. This document is written to enable that process. The working groups in charge of take this standard to the specific protocols listed in Table 1 may choose not to do so.
The subsequent audience for this specification is intended to be the developers of products that implement these protocols.
Portions of this standard may also be of use to managers and executives in order to understand the purpose and requirements of the work.
This document is organized working from the general to the specific, as follows:
- Clauses 2 through 4 provide background terms, definitions, and references.
- Clause 5 describes the problems this specification is intended to address.
- Clause 6 describes the mechanism generically without reference to a specific protocol.
- Clauses 7 and 8 describe the mechanism more precisely and are the primary normative part of this specification.
- Clause 9 define the interoperability requirements for this authentication mechanism.
- Clause 10 describes the requirements for other standards referencing this specification
Unless specifically labelled as informative or optional, all clauses of this specification are normative.