- defines the forces and moments to be taken into account with reference to masses, traction and braking conditions;
- gives the stress calculation method for axles with inboard axle journals;
- specifies the maximum permissible stresses to be assumed in calculations for steel grade EA1N, EA1T and EA4T defined in EN 13261;
- describes the method for determination of the maximum permissible stresses for other steel grades;
- determines the diameters for the various sections of the axle and recommends the preferred shapes and transitions to ensure adequate service performance.
This document is applicable for axles defined in EN 13261.
This document applies only for heavy rail vehicles.
The calculation of wheelsets for special applications (e.g. railbound construction and maintenance machines) can be made according to this document only for the load cases of free-rolling and rolling in train formation.