This European Standard:
- specifies the general requirements for the design of transport labels containing linear bar code and two-dimensional symbols for use by a wide range of industries;
- provides for traceability of transported units via a unique transport unit identifier code or 'licence plate', and supplemented where necessary by other identified data presented both in bar code and human readable form;
- provides a choice of linear bar code and two-dimensional symbologies;
- specifies quality requirements, classes of bar code density;
- provides recommendations as to label material, size and the inclusion of free text and any appropriate graphics.
This European Standard draws considerably on the content of ISO 15394:2009. As such, common material will not be repeated here but detailed references will be provided to that standard. However, this European Standard:
- defines some features in a more precise manner for use in the European context;
- provides additional advice possible since the publication of ISO 15394:2009.
This European Standard can be used as the single source, sufficient for an overview and to enable information flows to be incorporated into business systems. ISO 15394 is more relevant to those who are undertaking detailed label design, particularly compliant label generating software.